A Better way for small & mid-sized companies to track A/R Collection efforts
After many years working as a Controller in small to mid-sized companies I decided to create Excel Your Accounts Receivables.
Every company I worked for has one area that their software fell short in – keeping track of collection efforts and customers responses.
Some companies would print an A/R Aging each week and write notes on the report. This method made it difficult to compare and track the customer’s promises. My poor A/R employee would spend time digging through piles of old reports trying to see the collection efforts for an invoice or customer.
At another company I worked for, my Accounting clerk created a spreadsheet where who would keep track of open invoices. At the end of month week, she would spend hours creating a new sheet for the new month.
I knew there had to be a better way to track your A/R collection efforts. That is why I created Excel Your Accounts Receivables.
Discovering how to Automate Excel
At some point I learned that you could create Excel Macros where Excel would repeat your keystrokes. This was a great help at the time because I had a few reports that I had to complete each month that required a lot of “Find and Replace” of the data exported from our ERP system. This saved me quite a bit of time I knew there has to be a better way.
One day I was in in a bookstore (around 1998) and I happen to see some books about Excel. One book was called Excel VBA Programming For Dummies. As I flipped though the book, I learned that Excel Macros can be much more than just repeating key strokes but that in Excel you can actually create programs using a programming language called Visual Basic for Applications (VBA).
Using Excel and my accounting background I created Excel Your A/R.
- I began my career out of college as a Cost & Accounting Analyst. A few years later I was promoted to controller. I have since worked as a controller in a few different companies located in northeast Ohio.
- Bachelor of Science in Accounting – University of Akron
- Bachelor of Science in Finance- University of Akron
- Institute of Management Accountants – Successfully passed all parts of the Certified Management Accounts (CMA) exam on my first attempt.
- I have been working with Excel since 1995.
I hope to provide you ideas and solutions to help you accomplish more through the use of Microsoft Excel.
If you need assistance with Excel please free to contact me.